The Peter & Paul Window

“St. Peter & St. Paul” Window, 1933 (Bray Memorial)

This third west end window was added in 1933, to complete a matching set, all made in the same style by Morris & Company.  The figure of St. Peter was designed by J.H. Dearle; that of St. Paul was a Burne- Jones design.  The money was raised by subscription, in memory of Mr. A.H. Bray, a prominent member of St Paul’s for many years, and the window was dedicated on 21st May 1933.

The subject needs very little explanation – it`s an obvious choice, for a Church dedicated to St. Paul.  He and St. Peter have always been linked together, as the two leading apostles in the Early Church, and as fellow-martyrs in Rome under Nero.  Peter, on the left, holds the ‘Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven’ (Matthew 16.19), while Paul bears the sword of martyrdom.  As a Roman citizen, he would have been executed in this way; Peter is said to have been crucified.  Both saints also carry books, to indicate that they were among the writers of the New Testament.

The inscription reads: “To the glory of God and in memory of Alfred Herbert Bray who passed to his rest on the 22nd of August 1931.”


Stained Glass Windows
Webpage icon Jesus the Carpenter Window
Webpage icon The Presentation of Christ Window
Webpage icon The Baptistry Window
Webpage icon The Alban & George Window
Webpage icon The Timothy Window
Webpage icon The Visitation Window
Webpage icon The Annunciation Window
Webpage icon The David & Jonathan Window
Webpage icon The Nativity Window
Webpage icon The Main East Window
Printer Printable Version